Skyscanner, a global company dedicated to travel research, has commissioned a study about the latest industry trends and flight search data, to understand the mindset and purchase intentions of travellers. According to that study, UK tourists have been showing an increasing interest in traveling abroad during the spring and summer of 2021.
Flights to Faro airport are among the most sought after by British tourists who plan to travel in Europe for next summer’s holidays: the result of the most recent study by Skyscanner, has placed Faro (Portugal) at the top of the Top 5 searches conducted for European destinations.
Summer 2021 trending destinations
- Pent-up demand will only increase in 2021 as the world re-opens. For example, bookings for Portugal spiked by over 2,000% on Skyscanner immediately following the quarantine exemption announcement last year.
- Popular short-haul Spanish cities Malaga, Palma and Alicante are all in the top 10 destinations on skyscanner.net for the summer months, indicating that UK travellers are itching to get back to their favourite places as soon as possible.
- Mid-haul destination Dalaman in Turkey is also increasing in popularity, while winter sun favourite Dubai is proving popular for summer holiday searches.
- Long-haul family favourite Orlando is back inside the top 10 for summer 2021.
- Crete is also present in the top 10 searches for this year, a result of 2020 when Greece was all over social media and the press as a summer hotspot.
The top 10 international destinations for economy class return fares searched by UK travellers for summer (June – August) 2021 are: